(Plant biology researchers, please go here)
World's most comprehensive
fully curated and globally normalized resource
of gene expression for biopharmaceutical and medical research.
WHAT IS GENEVESTIGATOR?
GENEVESTIGATOR is a high performance search engine for
gene expression. It integrates thousands of manually curated, well
described public microarray and RNAseq experiments and nicely
visualizes gene expression across different biological contexts such
as diseases, drugs, tissues, cancers, cell lines or genotypes. The
high diversity of curated experiments allows GENEVESTIGATOR to
project your genes or your data against a broad spectrum of
reference profiles and datasets.
THERAPEUTIC AREAS Our curation team has quality controlled, annotated and integrated data
for over 500 diseases from 18 major therapeutic areas. There is a particularly rich content for a handful of areas such as:
For mammalian organisms (human, mouse, rat, monkey, dog, pig), we have the following coverage of curated studies:
- Respiratory diseases: in particular IPF and COPD
- Metabolic disorders: in particular diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Auto-immune diseases: in particular RA, IBD, UC, Psoriasis, AS
- Oncology: 600 different cancer types
WHAT CAN I DO WITH GENEVESTIGATOR?
Four basic analysis approaches are available:
analyze an individual EXPERIMENT to find significant genes or
2) identify which CONDITIONS
affect the expression of a gene of interest,
identify which GENES are specifically expressed in a chosen
4) find SIMILARITIES of
expression between genes or between regulating conditions.
Based on these approaches, GENEVESTIGATOR covers a wide
range of application areas:
Study gene function or mechanism
of drug and disease
Easily find which biological contexts regulate a gene of
interest, i.e. how strongly it is expressed in different organs and
tissues, cell lines, cancers and benign neoplasms, external or
internal perturbations (diseases, chemicals, tumors, etc.), or
genotypes. Gene function is also understood by identifying other
genes having similar regulation or at which stage of development a
gene is expressed.
Prioritize targets and biomarkers
Efficiently prioritize lists of targets or biomarkers by checking
their spatial, temporal and response expression:
- Visualize their expression across tissues, cell lines,
diseases, cancers, drug responses, genotypes, etc.
- Cluster target genes having similar expression regulation
Discover novel targets and
biomarkers GENEVESTIGATOR uses a global search strategy to identify
genes that are highly specific for chosen conditions (as compared to
their expression in a subset or in all other conditions):
The traditional differential expression analysis (condition versus
control) is also available in GENEVESTIGATOR with a very
user-friendly and fast tool.
- Find genes specifically expressed in a chosen set of
tissues or cancers
- Find genes specifically up- or down regulated in response
to a chosen perturbation (diseases, genotypes, drugs, etc) but
minimally responsive to all other conditions.
- Find genes specifically expressed at a chosen stage of
Interpret your results Bring your
results into the context of thousands of other experiments
- Find other experiments having a similar set of results
- Cluster genes by their expression in various contexts
(tissues, cell lines, cancers, diseases, genotypes, etc.)
Predict side-effects Knowing in
which conditions your therapeutic target is highly expressed provides
hypotheses about its function in those conditions or tissues.
Inhibiting the corresponding protein in these tissues may cause
- Generate a tissue-profile for targets of interest
- Find perturbations regulating a gene of interest
Find indications for your compound
If you have an expression signature for your compound (i.e. most
strongly up- and down-regulated genes in response to exposure to that
compound), then GENEVESTIGATOR allows you to search for diseases
causing an opposite expression profile.
Analyze gene regulatory networks
Other advanced tools are available for users to:
- cluster genes according to their spatio-temporal-response
- Identify genes co-expressed with a target gene across
tissues or across relevant conditions.
Connect genes with conditions and
phenotypes GENEVESTIGATOR covers a very broad spectrum of
experimental conditions, diseases, and cancers. The meta-analysis of
target genes easily reveals novel areas of involvement of these genes
and potential new therapeutic indications for drugs that target these
- Identify diseases affected by your target gene
- Identify cancers in which your target gene is strongly
- Find tissues in which a gene is highly expressed
Better plan your experiments
Checking the expression of your genes of interest in a wide variety
of contexts leads to ideas for designing new experiments and supports
Please visit the Licensing
page to find
out what is available to you for free and which tools require a